Re: 802.1x wired authentication

This sounds pretty consistent with my question about machine auth inclusion, as this works almost exactly like what you're trying to accomplish.

We do the same on the windoze side, where if there isn't a user authenticated, it should fall back to machine auth vlan, where your user is essentially quarantined, but for windows and mac allow AD for GPO/AV/other or JAMF access to sterilize the system.

There would be two keyfiles for dot1x auth, one for the machine, or one for the user, with nm managing the transition back and forth. We also do Radius COA (change of authorization) on the controllers, that if posture changes, it'll flip them to a quarantine/machine auth vlan again to be mitigated, but needs to be made aware of the transition to re-dhcp (windoze has issues with this too, macs we gave up on machine auth working properly entirely to accomplish this). Linux/NM still requires some fallback/fallforward behavior to accomplish this.

We're looking at actually using wlan controller features to transition them to a guest network should they fail auth entirely, still letting them on without a hard disconnect as you're seeing and having to rely on (absent) client features. Wired won't leave this option so much I think, but possibly depending on your policy engine upstream (aruba clearpass or cisco ise *can* in theory [or any rfc3576 server], just feeding a role/vlan response).

Windows has been doing and evolving dot1x behavior since xp, and mac has gotten with it since mid 10.7, it would be nice to see the dot1x behavior in nm catch up.

-mb