Re: controlling wireless connections

On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 10:11 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
I recently moved into a new development and pretty much each and every
home in this development has a WIFI network.  While most of these
network are secure a few of them are not but require some kind of
handshake to establish "guest" access.  These "guest access" WIFI
networks are a pain because my Fedora 18 client systems (running Network
Manager) will sometimes attempt to use one of these network rather then
my secure WIFI network.

Is there some way to "blacklist" WIFI network not to be used?  Or, to
reverse that question, is there some way of specifying that only
networks with a specific SSID should be used?

NM will only autoconnect to networks that it has been told to connect to
before, based on SSID and security settings.  So, if you run
'nm-connection-editor', do you see configurations for those bad SSIDs?
If they exist, something (either a UI applet or you) told NM to connect
to them, but they can easily be deleted from there.

(Or from the command line too with 'nmcli con', then find the ID or UUID
and "nmcli con delete id <id>" or "nmcli con delete uuid <uuid>")

Dan

If this capability does not currently exist, should it be implemented?

Gene