Re: Sierra Wireless MC7750 / MM 0.7.990 / NM 0.9.8

Hi Aleksander,

It took me a little while, but I put together recent builds with the 'aleksander/current-capabilities' branch
merged back into trunk.  I now have launchpad set up to do daily builds.

If anyone else is on debian/ubuntu/mint, you can pull the builds from:

https://code.launchpad.net/~dwa/+archive/network-manager-snapshots

As for results, this is much better than what I had before.  I am NOT getting the error I used to get
("Error: Connection activation failed: The connection was not a 3GPP2 connection.").  So the
'aleksander/current-capabilities' branch seems to have fixed this.

For a little while this afternoon, I thought everything was working perfectly --- complete with the ability
to connect/disconnect through the GUI.  Recall, however, that geographically, I am within the "Verizon
Extended Coverage Area" in which Verizon states "certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G
in this Area."

I suspect that whenever I get a 3G EVDO connection, everything is fine, but that I'm unable to get a 4G LTE
connection.  The error is as follows:

Apr  9 16:45:40 bree ModemManager[1001]: <info>  verbose call end reason (6,51): [3gpp] ipv6-only-allowed

I take it to mean that Verizon only wants to give me an IPV6 connection over 4G LTE?  That's what this
article seems to imply:

LTE devices must support IPv6, says Verizon
IPv4 support for Verizon 4G devices is optional
By Brad Reed, Network World
June 10, 2009 01:37 PM ET
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/061009-verizon-lte-ipv6.html

I'm reposting my command-line modem manager script:

#!/bin/sh
date ; echo "\nCurrent Modem Configuration:"
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 --set-allowed-modes=ANY --set-preferred-mode=3G
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 -e
date ; echo "\nCurrent Modem Configuration:"
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=vzwims"
date ; echo "\nObtaining DHCP lease"
dhclient -d -4 wwan0

Some questions:

(1) How can I modify the "mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=vzwims" line for IPv6 support?  Do I need to ditch
--simple-connect syntax and deal directly with bearers, etc.?  If so, how?
(2) It is possible to force 3G EVDO even though the device is 4G LTE capable?  Particularly given the branch.
(3) In a nutshell, what's the overall state of IPv6 support in the codebase
(modemmanager/networkmanager/gui)?  I note that there's an IPv6 tab in the network manager GUI for wired and
wifi connections, but not for broadband.  Networkmanager itself and the gui are 0.9.8 built against current
modemmanager, rather that the actual latest from git.

Thanks so much!
-Dana