Re: Sierra Wireless MC7750 / MM 0.7.990 / NM 0.9.8

Hey Dana,

THANK YOU so much for your help!  It's made a huge difference.

I am now able --- through command line scripting --- to connect and disconnect to the Internet via the
broadband modem with consistent, 100% reliable results.  This is WONDERFUL!  Another big THANK YOU to all
the developers!

Glad to hear that! :)

The script that works relies solely on ModemManager --- and does not (to the best of my knowledge) invoke
NetworkManager.  I believe there is still something odd going on between NetworkManager and ModemManager;
or perhaps just a lack of understanding and/or user error on my part.

I have another script using NetworkManager that I believe ought to work --- and doesn't.  The error in the
script is identical to the error using the GUI; namely, that the "Connection activation failed: The
connection was not a 3GPP2 connection."

I know what's happening here. See more comments below.

One final data point:  Geographically, I am within the "Verizon Extended Coverage Area" in which Verizon
states "certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area"

That's the high level overview.  Here are the precise steps, in order, that I took to provide the current
debug information:

(1) Cold boot system
(2) Invoke nm_wwan_up.sh with output to nm_wwan_up.out.  This script fails with "Connection activation
failed: The connection was not a 3GPP2 connection."
(3) Invoke wwan_up.sh with output to wwan_up.out.  This script successfully connects to the Internet.
(4) Confirm working broadband Internet connection
(5) Invoke wwan_down.sh with output to wwan_down.out.  This script succesfully disconnects.

I've also attached all debugging output from syslog (as debug.txt) for ModemManager and NetworkManager.
The scripts I ran also include output from 'date' to help corroborate them with the entries from syslog.

If you have any thoughts on why ModemManager works, but NetworkManager doesn't, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much!

-Dana

::::::::::::::
nm_wwan_up.sh
::::::::::::::
#!/bin/sh
date ; echo "\nCurrent Modem Configuration:"
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
nmcli nm wwan on
date ; echo "\nCurrent Modem Configuration:"
mmcli -m /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
date
nmcli con up id "Verizon Wireless 4G LTE" iface cdc-wdm0
date
::::::::::::::
nm_wwan_up.out
::::::::::::::
Tue Apr  2 03:55:04 EDT 2013

Current Modem Configuration:

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 (device id '65e196f1e7266d71f89ea3c49bc19c899c5bd641')
  -------------------------
  Hardware |   manufacturer: 'Sierra Wireless, Incorporated'
           |          model: 'MC7750'
           |       revision: 'SWI9600M_03.05.10.06ap r5595 carmd-en-10527 2012/11/12 15:07:45'
           |   capabilities: 'cdma-evdo, gsm-umts, lte'
           |        current: 'cdma-evdo'

So this is not good, and it is one of the things I've been looking at in
the past weeks. For QMI modems, we gather current capabilities from
various sources, which end up being the same sources we used for loading
allowed modes, and that causes problems. In this case, your modem is no
longer reported as being LTE to NM, and therefore NM assumes it needs a
3GPP2 ('cdma') connection settings, while the settings you created are
really for 3GPP ('gsm'). One of the things that could be fixed here is
that in a LTE-capable modem, we should never lose 'lte' as current
capability. This thing is handled in the following commit:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?h=aleksander/current-capabilities&id=b88e85380254aecc709de7e65dfc678143517896

Which is in the 'aleksander/current-capabilities' branch.

If you're able to test the NM connection attempt using that branch, it
would be great.

           |   equipment id: '351622050082110'
  -------------------------
  System   |         device: '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-4'
           |        drivers: 'qcserial, qmi_wwan'
           |         plugin: 'Gobi'
           |   primary port: 'cdc-wdm0'
  -------------------------
  Numbers  |           own : '6037182117'
  -------------------------
  Status   |           lock: 'none'
           | unlock retries: 'sim-pin (3), sim-pin2 (3), sim-puk (10), sim-puk2 (10)'
           |          state: 'disabled'
           |    power state: 'on'
           |    access tech: 'unknown'
           | signal quality: '0' (cached)
  -------------------------
  Modes    |      supported: '2g, 3g'
           |        allowed: '2g, 3g'
           |      preferred: 'none'
  -------------------------
  Bands    |      supported: 'cdma-bc0-cellular-800, cdma-bc1-pcs-1900, eutran-xiii'
           |        current: 'unknown'
  -------------------------
  CDMA     |           meid: 'A000003504C5EA'
           |            esn: '805D0480'
           |            sid: 'unknown'
           |            nid: 'unknown'
           |   registration: CDMA1x 'unknown'