Re: While waiting for MBIM support

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 21:10 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 19:48 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:

3) devices like the Ericsson H5321gw, having NCM compatible MBIM
 interfaces using different altsettings.

 Could be forced to NCM by setting the cdc_ncm parameter "prefer_mbim"
 (new in Linux v3.8.5/v3.9) to false.

I forget, is this a module parameter?

Yes.

If so, that's a non-starter
because userspace programs shouldn't really be loading/unloading modules
or playing around with module parameters...

OK?  Why is that?  No, I wouldn't let it load/unload anything, but
installing a /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf snippet shouldn't hurt more than
installing any udev rule?

I don't like the module parameter, but that was the best I could come up
with and there no other proposals.  Unfortunately too late to fix it
now.  I would still like to hear about better alternatives.  Maybe I'll
remember them the next time :)

The whole MBIM/NCM situation is unfortunate, and I'm not sure there's a
better way to do it.  The problem is that none of this is going to be
plug-and-play for now, and I don't think people would take kindly to
ModemManager installing a modprobe.d snippet to unconditionally change
the module behavior, but asking users to do it themselves kinda sucks
too.