Re: Fake internet connection

Den 25. sep. 2012 16:10, skrev Ricardo Cruz:
Em 25-09-2012 07:15, Marius Kotsbak escreveu:

On Sep 25, 2012 1:43 AM, "Ricardo Cruz" <ric8cruz gmail com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am not using nm-applet to connect to the Internet. I am using wvdial instead. (It is how tech support from my Internet provider set it up.)
>
> Anyhow, applications like empathy and pidgin refuse to connect to the servers, because they think I don't have an Internet connection active. (I am using Ubuntu.)
>
> How can I fool nm-applet in order to fake an Internet connection -- because I really am connected to the Internet, just not using nm-applet in the process.

Just stop network manager:

sudo network-manager stop

in a terminal.

But which modem do you have, and what is the content of the wvdial config file? You should be able to use Network manager/modem manager.

Marius, I use Ubuntu:

rick2@pombo:~$ sudo network-manager stop
sudo: network-manager: comando não encontrado

Sorry, I mean:

sudo stop network-manager

rick2@pombo:~$ whereis network-manager
network-manager:

rick2@pombo:~$ cat /etc/wvdial.conf
# This file was generated by "sudo wvdialconf".
# I edited it a bit.
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
#This should set PIN-code but it fails.
#Init2 = AT+CPIN=0123
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 14400000
New PPPD = yes
#I changed this back to ttyACM0 !
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = tmn
Username = tmn
Stupid Mode = 1

I worked this out with the tech support guy, while dangling the web for some information.

It would be great if we could get nm-applet to work, but I'd be already happy if I managed to get the network manager to tell apps that it is indeed connected to the Internet, so they'll work fine.

So that means nm-applet is not working? Make sure the password entered above is included in the NM config as well. Which Ubuntu version is this? Could you post the output of the command:

lsusb

What you really should be is to run this command (after the connection fails):

ubuntu-bug modemmanager

to report this bug to Ubuntu.

--
Marius