Re: Default Gateway option

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
>> When setting a manual IP on a connection, the way the dialog box is
>> made, Network Manager allows a user to enter one gateway by IP,
>> however, in a logicial ways, a gateway should be system-wide or at
>> least connection-wide, not address specific.
>
> Gateways are (for the most part) subnet specific.  They do not need to
> be, but that covers 90% of the use-cases.  We've been discussing
> changing this recently to allow more complicated routing arrangements,
> but these wouldn't be relevant for most users.

I though only routes were subnet specific, not gateways? We're really
talking of "route of last resort", right? Multiple gateway would
happen in an advanced router setup but not with something as simple as
Network Manager. Am I right?

Of course I'm not talking of multiple gateways due to multiple
connected interface, metric of the interface will make the route win
and allow the user to switch connections at will.