Re: Nm applet in gdm3

----- Original Message -----

With git master, it's currently possible to bind VPN to a connection
so that it will we considered required and will start automatically.

> Where you need a VPN to reach the LDAP server that will auth you (I
> guess there should be some caching to not need this, but whatever),

If you know how to refresh the cache on commandline, you could do it
with NM dispatcher scripts, too.

> you'll want to enable the VPN connection from within the "greeter",
> gdm or otherwise.

Correct.

> [...]
>
> >> So I need the nm-applet icon in gdm to be able to choose
> >> system wide network connections (or create new in new wifis)
> >
> > Does that mean anyone who comes to the computer should be allowed
> > do the administration?
>
> I'd recommend against allowing the creation of new wifi networks
> directly from the greeter without requiring admin auth (using a
> policykit dialog for example), but I can totally understand a case
> where you're in another city, want to check your email from your
> hotel room but first need to create the connection.

I haven't seen with a setup that won't allow him to use his computer offline.

> >> and connect to my vpn before log in as specific user against ldap
> >> (over
> >> the vpn connection).
> >>
> >> I'd try to start the nm-applet via copying the .desktop file to
> >> the
> >> gdm autostart directory as shown on several tutorials but it don't
> >> work.
>
> This used to work, but if you're using GDM3 (at this point, I don't
> know) something could have changed in how the gdm session is started
> that makes some pieces required by nm-applet unavailable.

'nm-applet' is the old one and it's not normally used with Gnome 3.