Re: Correspondent to "nm-applet" in Fedora-17 ?

Hmm.. I understand now the architectural changes; thanks Sergio, Aleksander, Dan.

So, now I can ask for something more concrete, since now I am convinced that the differences are there architecturally; here we go ::

I remember when I wrote any of the Hello-World programs back in Fedora-14, I used to get the messages, something on lines of "Another applet is already using ...".  This was when the program was run, WHILE nm-applet was running. If I killed nm-applet, the program ran fine.

Now, in Fedora-17, I get the message

    "1352262719.440227 ERROR root: Failed to add and activate connection: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings.NotPrivileged:
     Insufficient privileges."

when I try to run the program (with nm-applet, or whatever the frontend is, running aside by NetworkManager service).
The connections being used are system-connections here.

So, any ideas, how can this message be averted? :)

Thanks already for your clearances.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 22:00 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> What is the correspondent to nm-applet in Fedora-17?
> When i do, "sudo killall nm-applet" in Fedora-17, there is still the
> nm-applet frontend in Gnome, through which connections can be
> added/edited/removed.
>
> Will be grateful for any pointers :)

gnome-shell provides that functionality for GNOME Shell desktops; the
network applet is built into the shell and AFAIK cannot be removed
without gnome shell extensions.  nm-applet is still used in desktops
that are not GNOME and not KDE, however.

Dan

Regards,
Ajay