Re: Little white window SECRET

Brian Morrison wrote:

>> I don't know what password is wanted, even if I could enter one.
>
> It wants the password, or phrase, for your wireless connection whether
> it is Wi-Fi or some other flavour.
>
> You should be able to type in the field, it may not show the whole
> string entered, but it should be there. Cut and paste would probably
> help if you have your password/phrase/key somewhere accessible.

As I said, it does not allow any input into the window,
even if I click "show password",
which is in fact the only thing I can do in the window.

Do you see this "Secret" window?
If so, does it accept input?

Who provides this window, incidentally?
Is it NM?

I'm afraid this incident highlighted for me
how bad NM is when it doesn't work.
(I emphasize that this is only 5% or less of the time.
95% of the time it works fine.)
But when it is not working, I get out my Android phone
(Samsung Galaxy S2) and see if that has a network connection,
so I'll know if the fault actually lies with my WiFi router,
or with dhcpd on my server.
(These are rarely the case.)

The point is, I've never known my Android to have any problems
with WiFi, anywhere.
It lists the access points it sees (as does NM),
and if I click on one it asks me for the password
if that is required, and that is it.
I can go from one location to another,
and it seems to have no problem,
while NM appears to find a change of location very challenging.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net