Re: conflicts with packages wicd, indicator-network

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 19:08 -0600, pauriem gmail com wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and when
> I try to use the wicd or indicator-network packages on my system, I
> get errors related to network manager
>
> wicd cannot authenticate properly to my wireless network in the
> presence of network manager (gives up reporting bad password) but if I
> uninstall network manager, wicd connects okay with exact same
> settings, I am wondering why?

WICD and Network Manager do the same thing. If both of them are trying
to do the same thing at the same time, they interfere with each other.

> also, I would like to use network manager with the indicator-network
> plug-in for the system tray rather than via nm-applet, yet
> indicator-network automatically replaces network manager with another
> package called connman that is crash-prone, so is there no way to use
> network manager with indicator-network?

Same answer. Indicator-Network is a GUI for Connman, which does the same
thing as Network Manager and WICD. And you can't run more than one
network management daemon at the same time.

Simon.