conflicts with packages wicd, indicator-network

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and when
I try to use the wicd or indicator-network packages on my system, I
get errors related to network manager

wicd cannot authenticate properly to my wireless network in the
presence of network manager (gives up reporting bad password) but if I
uninstall network manager, wicd connects okay with exact same
settings, I am wondering why?

also, I would like to use network manager with the indicator-network
plug-in for the system tray rather than via nm-applet, yet
indicator-network automatically replaces network manager with another
package called connman that is crash-prone, so is there no way to use
network manager with indicator-network?

thanks for any help