Re: Network-manager and VLAN

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 11:31 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> > It isn't documented (perhaps in the literate source), but ifupdown
> > supports tagged interfaces transparently.  If you want an ethernet
> > interfaces on VLAN 5, this will do the trick:
> >
> > iface iface.X inet ...
>
> The long-term goal for many distros is to switch to NetworkManager only. At
> least we should make NetworkManager standalone in the common networking cases
> covered by ifcfg-rh, ifupdown and similar.

Well, at least we want to make that an *option*.  Pragmatically, this is
Linux, and I don't think we'll ever achieve 100% coverage, and I don't
think we *want* to either (if we did, NM would be a pile of
unmaintainable hacks).

Instead, I believe our goal is to make NM useful enough, easy enough,
and understandable enough, that people *want* to use NM rather than
wading through a bunch of scripts.  We don't want to force NM upon
people; instead we need to make NM *better* than the existing options so
that it's a no-brainer choice.  There will always be people that want to
tinker and do something else or have so totally crack-rock use-cases
that we have no hope of easily supporting them, and that's fine.  That's
what software is about.

Dan