Re: Problem automatically unmounting VPN shares

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:18:11 -0300
"Lamarque V. Souza" <lamarque kde org> wrote:

> Em Saturday 28 July 2012, Robby Workman escreveu:
> >
> > Peter Rockett <p rockett sheffield ac uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > ... snipped ...
> > >
> > > The weird thing is that, if I delete the dispatcher script above,
> > > connect to VPN, mount the drive manually in a terminal, then
> > > umount it manually, and disconnect from VPN, everything is fine
> > > and as it should be. So it seems like the dispatcher daemon is
> > > making a mess of running the unmount... but not the mount.
> > >
> > > Any ideas where to go with this?
>
> 	What is happening is that NetworkManager is taking down the
> connection before running the dispatch script. That is a known
> problem.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.  I don't know if there's a reason for it
to occur that way, so I can't say for sure, but that seems less than
ideal...

> > See mount(8), particularly the -l and -f options:
> >
> >   -f  Force unmount (in case of an unreachable NFS system).
> >   -l  Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem
> >         hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the
> >         filesystem as soon as it is not busy anymore.
>
> 	Those options can prevent other programs from hanging. But
> keep in mind that nfs clients maintain a local cache that may not
> have been sync'ed to the server by the time the connection is taken
> down. Files can be corrupted because of that though I have never seen
> that happening.

I've never seen corruption, but I have had some occasions with the
server having stale info (basically, the local cache never got synced
to the server, it seems)...

-RW