Re: Bearers in mixed CDMA+LTE modems

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:26 +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:

> >> Needless to say that I would love to see the logs :-)

> >> Having read the document, it really seems that the whole eHRPD setup
> >> makes the handoff to/from LTE much much *much* more transparent than
> >> what I thought (keeping the IP addresses during the handoff is just one
> >> detail), and that we don't really need to take care of exposing them
> >> apart from just notifying about the change of technology being actively
> >> used (if possible to notify that). So for the generic case of "do LTE or
> >> CDMA, with LTE preferred" the setup is quite automatic.
> >>
> >> The other thing that comes to be a bit more clear is that for mixed
> >> LTE+CDMA modems, the need of requesting a CDMA-only connection may be a
> >> bit unclear: mixed LTE+CDMA modems don't really need
> >> to support CDMA-only connections (Optional Rm-interface protocol setup
> >> plus ATDT#777), as the CDMA network may really be handled just for
> >> handoff from LTE via eHRPD. Could you try to connect your LTE+CDMA modem
> >> using the standard CDMA connection sequence and see if it works?
> >>
> >> So, for the generic implementation of the mixed LTE+CDMA modem, I guess
> >> we should follow your suggestion of creating a generic Bearer that will
> >> do 3GPP-based connection sequence (PDP context setup and activation)
> >> when 4G is allowed, and otherwise try CDMA-based connection sequence
> >> (optional Rm-interface protocol setup plus ATDT#777). This single
> >> mutable object is probably the most dynamic/extensible implementation
> >> that we could give to plugin implementations.
> >
> > unless you have a really really smart modem firmware, the ATD#777 can
> > not work out to setup any kind of auto-handover connection. The PPP
> > connection is terminated at the network and not the modem level as in
> > 3GPP. There is a theory that can terminate PPP in the network for 2G/3G,
> > but even that I have never seen used in any network. And I doubt anybody
> > with a 4G network falling back to this. Way to expensive on the network
> > equipment to handle LTE loads via PPP.
> >
> > So once you fall back to any kind of ATD with PPP, I think you are stuck
> > in one technology. Especially if it termination endpoints of your PPP
> > connection are different.
> >

> Yes, I think we're in the same page here. The ATDT#777-based connection
> to the CDMA network would only be used *if 4G is not an allowed mode*
> (i.e. we don't want LTE); we won't expect the modem to automagically
> handoff to LTE from a connection started with ATDT#777. Anyway, this
> would really be the generic implementation that specific plugins can
> reimplement with more detail.

Simply put, if the modem is CDMA+3GPP and the bearer is PPP, we expect
the bearer to disconnect on handoff between CDMA and 3GPP networks.  In
all other cases, we do not expect the bearer to disconnect (though it
might).  (ie, if the modem is CDMA+3GPP/netport then we'd expect the
modem to transparently handoff in most cases)