Re: Fedora16 - Brain dead wireless network manager

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm htt-consult com> wrote:
> But it does not address the removal of information from the UI nor the
> control over SSID selection/control.

Agreed. NM-client on F15 and now F16 is a perceptible downgrade over F14.

The brave new world of Gnome 3 has reduced networking usability -- I
hope it's not here to stay. Here's my short list of surprises; I've
found my workarounds, I just hope it's useful feedback.

 - Can't click an existing, established connection to re-connect on
the nm-client-applet list

 - Can't easily open the networks view/edit dialog from nm-client-applet

 - "Network Settings", activated from nm-client-applet menu, lets me
view/edit a wlan config only once it completes a connection
successfully -- picking a wlan config tries to activate it. This drove
me crazy until I realized that it was not the only settings app...

 - There are 2 network settings -- "network" and "network connections"
-- when I use the gnome app chooser. Which one should I use? Answer:
"network connections", the harder to find one, is the sane one, where
you can look at a wlan configuration and edit it without requesting
that NM tries to associate to it.

OTOH, reconnection to wlans seems to be faster than F15, which had
some crazy long timeouts. Still slower than iOS, perhaps almost on par
w Android devices.

cheers,

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions