Re: Testing of ADSL device support branch

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 14:18 +0200, Pantelis Koukousoulas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to test the latest adsl branch, I was in a
> situation where I couldn't
> compile NetworkManager's git. Now that I have a system with latest
> ubuntu (12.04 alpha)
> here are my rough results:
>
> 1) I needed to add --enable-more-warnings=no in order to get
> NetworkManager git to compile
>     due to deprecation warnings coming from glib regarding
>
> 2) Once I got it to build successfully:
>
>        * pppoe worked right away, thanks for eliminating br2684ctl!
>            I liked all the cleanup / improvement changes
>
>        * pppoa broke because of a small mistake while converting to
> protocol constants I think.
>          With a trivial change
>
> -       } else if (g_strcmp0 (protocol, NM_SETTING_ADSL_PROTOCOL_PPPOA)) {
> +       } else if (g_strcmp0 (protocol, NM_SETTING_ADSL_PROTOCOL_PPPOA) == 0) {
>
>          it works again fine.

Thanks, I just commited that as part of my rebase onto current git
master just now.  Based on discussion with woodhouse, we can't ever get
the br2684 ioctls to return the interface name, so we could further
simplify the code by just doing what he suggests, trying to create
'nasX' and if it fails, try 'nasX+1' until we get success.  Then we
don't have to wait around for the interface to appear like the code does
now.

In any case, rebased on top of git master.

>          You can find the above change in patch form by pulling from
>          git://github.com/pkt/NetworkManager.git (adsl branch)
>
>        * "routed ip" / "ipoatm" remains untested and non-working since
> I don't have
>           access to a system needing this mode of operation.
>
> 3) The above are for IPv4. IPv6 still doesn't work for various reasons
> (small ones I think).
> I can try my hand on fixing it myself if I find some free time and
> contributions are
> welcome as well of course.

Definitely, if you have time any fixes are appreciated.  We might just
toss in a hard failure if the user tries to start a routed-ip or ipoatm
connection for now so we can just merge the branch to master and get it
into a release.

Dan