Re: Fedorav18 beta packages - dispatcher script timeout

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:01 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using dispatcher scripts for quite some time to bring up
> vlan interfaces and mount network shares for work, etc.  With the
> latest Fedora packages (0.9.7.0-6.git20121004), dispatcher script
> timed out after execution of the script made it halfway.  I must put a
> sleep between the vconfig and IP link commands, and that is causing
> the script to be kill by dispatcher.
>
> How can I raise or disable this time out please?

The timeout is currently 3 seconds, and has not changed in forever.  So
clearly something else must have changed to require the delay.  Note
that in the future, scripts will be executed *synchronously*, which
means that your 3 second timeout will now translate into a 3 second
delay when bringing up or down the network, which isn't cool.

Usually, requiring a timeout like that indicates a problem in the
kernel, which is what should be fixed. Also, note that vconfig is
largely deprecated and you'll get better results from /sbin/ip, since
that uses netlink instead of the old ioctl interface.  What specific
operation with vconfig requires a timeout, and what is the behavior if
that timeout is not used?