No vendor/product string displayed in my distribution

I hope I'm not chumming up your list with a general question. I've spent many hours trying to figure why the vendor/product isn't showing up in nm-applet. NetworkManager and nm-aaplet work without issue. No error messages in the console. This is the last minor issue I need to work out before I can release my distribution as stable.

I've looked through the source and found that it's called from nm_device_get_product (). The description in the document states: the product name of the device. This is the internal string used by the device, and must not be modified.

What mechanism/program/lib did I mess up that makes this call fail? I can't figure out how NetworkManager gets the info from the device. NetworkManager is more complex than what I'm used to working with in C programming.

Thanks