WPA-PSK password length requirement

The is on Fedora 17, x86_64 (NM 0.9.6.4-3.fc17?), Gnome 3.

First I was a major contributor to 802.11i and wrote the first paper on the attack on WPA-PSK (and the myth on hiding SSIDs); I am not your typical end user having a complaint on client behaviour.

Yesterday, I was at a major corporation for a meeting and the quest SSID had a 6 digit all numeric passcode. NM would not let me connect; it seem to insist that a passcode for WPA2-PSK be at least 8 characters long. The meeting participants using Windows had no difficulty with this 6 digit passcode and were able to get on the guest wireless network.

On any SSID I set up, I will use a reasonably strong passcode (though I would REALLY like to start using SAE in place of PSK!), but sometimes you have NO control over what others do. I REALLY need an override on the passcode length requirement; I will again be at that location for a meeting Dec 19.

I doubt I will find a way to complain to this company's senior management on their IT department's 'bad' policy. This setup is probably only intended to keep rifraf from trying to get to the NEXT level of access control (you then need an 8 hour user account for hotspot login). Oh, I did not mention that they hide this SSID. Sheesh.