Re: NM Shutting Down

CACook quantum-sci com writes:
> On Thursday, 30 August, 2012 12:43:33 Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>> Hello -
>>
>>    What distro & version of NM/wpa_supplicant are you using?
>
> Debian Testing.  NM 0.9.4.0-5, wpa 1.0-2
>

>> > Clearly NM is as busted as it's always been.
>>
>> I'm not even a NM dev - however I would expect that insulting the people
>> who can help you isn't the best way. I've found help on the IRC channel
>> to be superb and timely. Also you are also free to uninstall NM and do
>> all the manual wpa configuration yourself. Having just played with
>> wpa_supplicant on its own without NM to debug some stuff I can tell you
>> that NM is awesome and I wouldn't wish managing wpa interfaces manually
>> on anyone.
>
> I'd configured my network devices manually for 10 years.  I only went to NM when I couldn't make roaming work otherwise.
>
> Doesn't matter what I say.  I've asked and asked here, to no avail.  So I switched back to manual, and now -that's- not working.  I can associate with:
> # wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -dd
> ... but the interface will not come up with its static IP.  No idea.  It's broken.
>
> Clearly no one here will help, so it doesn't matter what I say.

You are being extremely rude and unfair to a developer community which
most people would consider extremely helpful.  I believe helping users
is the whole philosophy behind NM, and this is reflected by the
developers attracted to NM.

Now, it's quite possible to disagree about technical details, but this
does not seem to be your problem.  Instead, you seem to have a problem
structuring and presenting your case in a form which will help you solve
whatever task you are interested in solving.  I had to put it that way,
because it isn't even clear to me what you are trying to achieve.  You
seem to be switching randomly between different configurations because
it's "not working".  That is futile.  You will never get anything
working that way.

Now, do you want to be helped?  This is going to be completely off topic
on this list, so please don't ask any followup questions.  Take it to
the Debian user support lists. Making wpa_supplicant roaming work
without using NM in Debian testing is as simple as creating a
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with the networks you want to
roam between, and putting this in /etc/network/interfaces:

 allow-hotplug wlan0
 iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

This is all well documented in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz
If you cannot make it work, then you are doing something wrong.

The same goes for NM.  It just works by default.  If it doesn't work
for you, then you are doing something wrong.  But you cannot expect
anyone to pinpoint your errors when you don't describe what you do. So
just don't ask.

Thanks.

Bjørn (not a NM developer, and therefore not very user friendly :-)