Re: Use of dnsmasq for caching nameserver

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gene czarc net> wrote:
[...]
> 1.  Is it already in use?  I am running "current" Fedora 17 and a "ps ax"
> shows no "extra" dnsmasq ... just all the ones for my virtual networks.

It's not in use in Fedora yet.

> 2.  I also noticed that the NetworkManager dnsmasq is listening on
> 127.0.0.1.  This could be a problem if the user (such as myself) wants to
> run a dnsmasq listening on 127.0.0.1.

Yes. I have a patch ready to be sent to the mailing list to change
that to 127.0.1.1 (could be anything else really), as what we use in
Ubuntu.

> 3.  Will use of dnsmasq be optional and configurable?

It already is, you can enable or disable it via "dns=dnsmasq" in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf; and since recently, you can
tweak the configuration using files in /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d.

> 4. I noticed that you have all the paramters specified in the software.
> Based on my experience with libvirt, this makes it difficult to test any
> needed parameter changes.  Suggention:  have you considered having your own
> conf file and then specifying "--conf-file=<wherever>" in the software?

See above; I think just the absolutely required parameters should be
on the command line, I think that's largely the case right now.

> 5.  Let me add that I believe choosing dnsmasq for the caching nameserver is
> a good choice.  On the whole it works well and is not all that complicated.

Depends if you run into those really obscure bugs. I think we've found
quite a few already, so things should be looking good for the most
part.

Regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu tl gmail com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu tl gmail com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93