RE: ip-config -> failed for GlobeTrotter HSDPA Modem

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 06:46 +0200, richter ecos de wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>  my teststick was "Out Of Office", but now I have it back again and here is what I found..
>
> > For your device we're not seeing the OWANDATA call there.  That appears to
> > be because MM is not recognizing your modem's network device which
> > should be called 'hso0'.  Can you provide logs of starting up ModemManager
> > with the device plugged in so we can debug what's not happening about the
> > detection process?  Also, when you plug the modem in, do you see 'hso0' (or
> > hso1 or whatever) in the output of 'ifconfig -a' ?
> >

> Attached are two log files. Umts3.log shows starting up modem manager with device already pluged in, umts_plugin.log shows pluging in the device, while modem manager is already running.

So here's the issue:

Sep  9 06:22:38 ThinClient modem-manager[3980]: <warn>
[mm-manager.c:574] do_grab_port(): plugin 'Option High-Speed' claimed to
support net/hso0 but couldn't: (0) Could not get modem product ID.

That indicates something odd with the sysfs/udev hierarchy, which is how
you figure out what USB vendor and product the device has.  This could
indicate a buggy kernel driver, though the upstream kernel 'hso' driver
hasn't changed in a while.  It could also indicate something wrong with
udev or sysfs.  So heres what we do:

1) grab http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/plain/test/lsudev.c
2) grab udev development headers (libudev-dev or libudev-devel or
libudev1-dev or whatever your distro calls them)
3) grab gudev development headers (libgudev-dev or libgudev1-devel or
whatever)
4) build lsudev.c like so:

gcc -o lsudev `pkg-config --cflags --libs gudev-1.0` lsudev.c

5) with the modem plugged in and already switched to modem mode, run
lsudev like so:

sudo lsudev net

And report the output.  That will print out the sysfs/udev device
hierarchy for this device and let us figure out what's wrong.

Dan