Re: NM vs broadcom on planet Ubuntu 10.10

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 13:33 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 12:51 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> >        I have here a laptop (hp pavilion dv6700 ) with ubuntu 10.10 and
> > a broadcom (bcm 94312 LP-PHY) wireless card using the non-free drivers
> > (tried both the  b43 and the SPA(?) one). When I try to connect to a
> > WPA2/AES router, I can enter my password and it will be trying to
> > connect for about a minute and then go back to asking for the password
> > again. But, if I replace network-manager with wicd, I have no problem
> > connecting. Why would NM not like this setup?
>
> Have you checked the dmesg output? The kernel in 10.10 may not have all the
> improvements in b43 needed to operate your BCM4312. Upgrading to the
> compat-wireless package should fix that.

NM also doesn't do anything materially different from wicd; NM
constructs a configuration for wpa_supplicant and sends it to the
supplicant.  Which is also what wicd does.  NM dumps the configuration
it sends to /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log depending on your
distro (in your case, likely /var/log/daemon.log) so you can see exactly
what NM is telling the supplicant to do.  Supplicant debug logs would
also be useful, there's more details about that here:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging