NM vs broadcom on planet Ubuntu 10.10

      I have here a laptop (hp pavilion dv6700 ) with ubuntu 10.10 and
a broadcom (bcm 94312 LP-PHY) wireless card using the non-free drivers
(tried both the  b43 and the SPA(?) one). When I try to connect to a
WPA2/AES router, I can enter my password and it will be trying to
connect for about a minute and then go back to asking for the password
again. But, if I replace network-manager with wicd, I have no problem
connecting. Why would NM not like this setup?