Re: Back to the Game

On 11.10.2011 16:38, Dan Williams wrote:
I've also seen submissions for empty GSM networks (no APN provided)
because that provider is actually a CDMA network.  CDMA networks
*do* have MCC/MNC numbers, but no APNs, so these aren't valid either.
The correct thing to do there is add MCC/MNC to the CDMA block DTD.

Stuff like that.  Trust, but Verify.

Hmm.. how about writing a XML Schema which would allow precise introspection of the data for "silly" things? We could then instruct the submitter to run verify.sh before submitting a patch.

I think we could update the instructions how to draft the updates and
then you simply require that every patch is done accordingly:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/MobileBroadband/ServiceProviders

I also received a couple of patches back in the days directly from some
service providers. I think we could instruct people to turn directly to
their service providers customer care for right information. If we have
good instructions how to update the database we could get more direct
updates from service providers.

Other stuff I'd like to see:

- MMS details - proxy servers - SMSC addresses

But those are harder to find on the web.

One more reason why we should encourage the users to raise awareness in side their own providers to give us direct support. They just need very clear instructions and point of contact. :)

--
Antti Kaijanmäki
Software Engineer