Nokia 3G USB Modem CS-17 very unreliable

Hi!

I have a Nokia 3G USB Modem CS-17. Unfortunately it works very
unreliable under Linux. If used it with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS,
OpenSUSE 11.3, OpenSUSE 11.4, and Windows XP.

Under Linux the failure rate is some 60%-80% and retrying repeatedly
does not help. Under XP the failure rate is some 10% and if the first
attempt fails retrying helps.

If the connection succeeds it is typically very good. I have used it
about 1 hour on a running train and I have reached connection speeds
up to 5 Mbit/s (not on a running train though...)

The attached logs are from Lucid, which uses NetworkManager 0.8-0ubuntu3.2
and modem-manager 0.3-0ubuntu2.2.

The typical error case is no responses from LCP (see attached logs). In some
rarer occasions the LCP responses are invalid.

Not sure how this is related to network manager. But Linux PPP seems to be
stable (in the meaning of no changes) for a long time. And it should not be
a network issue, with XP I don't experience the same problem.

Can you spot anything helpful from the attached logs?

Does it make any sense to investigate with nm 0.8? If necessary I can
build the newest version. But I vaguely remember from some earlier
postings on this list that it's not completely trivial with all the
interdependencies of NetworkManager, modem-manager, D-Bus,
configuration in /etc, knetworkmanager[1], and what else might needed
to be taken into account. So a pointer to instructions would be
welcome.

Regards,

Uwe

[1] I typically use KDE. But I have at least tried it once on a GNOME
system and the connection problems were the same ones. I cannot
imagine that the applet is the culprit.