Re: Comments about the proposed new MM D-Bus API

Yes, by "module" I mean PCI-E minicard, though really the DBUS-API should work for both PCI-E minicards and USB dongles.  Perhaps a different name is more appropriate.

GOBI3K modems allow a certain number of firmware versions to be loaded on to the module, and then the user can select which one is used when the modem is turned on (or reset).  There might be more firmware versions available than can actually fit on the modem, so it is sometimes necessary to juggle which firmware is on the modem.   Remove and Install are the functions that will manipulate the firmware that resides on the module -- without actually determining which firmware will be used.

-Jason

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 17:39 -0400, Jason Glasgow wrote:

> I took a quick look at the new modem manager API and I'd like to add
> something that would allow us to manipulate firmware images.  This is
> not fully fleshed out yet.  Thoughts?

What exactly does "module" mean in this context?  My first impression
was that we were talking about a PCI-E minicard, but I don't think
that's the case.  What would install/remove actually do?

Dan