Re: cross compiling without gnome

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM,  <raghunathan kailasanathan wipro com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I am cross-compiling nm for an embedded target. I don't require
> any GNOME/GTK/GUI/applet functionality. Do I still require dbus-glib ? If not,
> how can I remove that from the config ?

D-BUS is not a GUI thing. It is the IPC that NM uses to communicate
with everything,
including the daemons it manages (modemmanager, wpa_supplicant, pppd
etc) and the command-line client. So even if you hacked the source and
removed d-bus, the resulting
NetworkManager would not be able to manage much.

> Also what would be appropriate "--with-distro" string to use for
> configure ? ... the target does not use any stock linux distributions (it has
> a custom linux port)

You can check what --with-distro the BLFS book proposes these days for example,
but probably the best would be to implement the proper backend for
your own distro
(based on what is already there) and thus use your distro's name as
--with-distro
argument. I don't think it is hard to do that at all.

Cheers,
Pantelis