Re: SV: Ericsson Support for SMS receive

Hi Torgny,

> CCing NetworkManager mailing list. I'm sorry that the thread below is not formatted the way you like it but I'm keeping it below for reference.
>
> The discussion is about sms support in ModemManager. I've started implementing it a bit but ran into issues.
>
> I think that a SetStorageLocation method as suggested by Eric would be sane to add. And have that mirror the CPMS command as Jason suggested.
>
> Should I still include the mem-type in SmsReceived signal? Or should we assume that the caller takes care of setting the storage correctly? The same question is valid for the SmsGet method (and delete).
>
> About the SmsReceived vs Completed signals, I interpreted it as the SmsReceived signal is emitted for all sms and for the final sms _both_ the SmsReceived and Completed signals are emitted. I don't have the code available right now though, so I'll have to look at it again later.
>
> Another issue is how to handle the completed flag in the SmsReceived signal and the Completed signals. I suppose one have to parse the pdu to be able to tell?

using the SIM card as storage for SMS is a pretty much bad idea. It will
work sort of nice at first, but in the long run it will give you a lot
of problems. It is limited in storage space and vulnerable to denial of
service attacks with multipart SMS.

Another problem is trying to make text mode for SMS on an AT modem work.
That will fail since every single modem makes a mistake with text mode
handling. Once you enter the cases with non-English character sets, you
will be fighting wind mills. You need to use PDU mode.

Regards

Marcel