Re: Question about

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 12:29 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 03/13/2011 11:22 AM, José Queiroz wrote:
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Are you using a Dell laptop? A recent kernel change broke the WMI support to
> > some dell hardware. If it's your case, try blacklisting dell-laptop modules and
> > reseting your machine.
>
> No, this is an HP. I am not loading any wmi modules.
>
> One more piece of info. As I said earlier, switching from knetworkmanager to the
> plasmoid allowed it to work. I then switched back to knetworkmanager (I like it
> better), and wireless still worked.
>
> Larry

There are two blocks to wifi in 0.8.2 and later: rfkill, and user
preference as controlled by the "Wireless Enabled" checkbox; I'm not
sure where that lives in the KDE bits, but it's there.  They are
completely independent at this time, but if either one is blocking the
radio NM will say wifi is off.  If you look
at /var/log/messages, /var/log/daemon.log,
or /var/log/NetworkManager.log (depending on your distro) you'll see
lines about both rfkill and the wifi state that should tell you what's
going on.