Re: DHCP FORCERENEW / RFC 3203?

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 16:25 +0000, Marc Herbert wrote:
> Le 10/03/2011 10:57, Butrus Damaskus a écrit :
> > Hello!
> >
> > Does / will NetworkManager support RFC 3203 (DHCP FORCERENEW)? Or is
> > there any other way how a network (WiFi) can force NetworkManager to
> > renew it's DHCP state?
>
> NetworkManager is not the DHCP client.
>
> Have you actually tried to use FORCERENEW when NetworkManager is running? It
> could just work.

Right; NM uses dhclient or dhcpcd as the actual DHCP client, and if
these support FORCERENEW, then it'll work.  NM does nothing to suppress
any FORCERENEW capability that these clients might provide.  If NM fails
to handle any state changes a result of FORCERENEW (if renew fails or a
new address is obtained and NM does not update the interface's address
for example) then that's a bug that we should fix.