Re: Extending the mobile-broadband-provider-info database

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 11:32 +0200, Marius Kotsbak wrote:
> Den 19. juli 2011 17:51, skrev Dan Williams:
> >
> > As long as the attributes we add aren't required, it should be fine to
> > add them.  See the balance check stuff that was added a while ago; that
> > was added in a compatible manner and existing tools simply ignore the
> > new attributes.
> >

> About the existing information there. I see it is mobile network
> identifiers, but I haven't seen that Network manager exploit this to
> automatically select or propose the correct network settings. Is this
> not implemented yet?

It's done in the client applications like nm-applet and
nm-connection-editor and the KDE bits, which create the actual
configuration and display stuff like signal and network names.  NM
simply passes the mobile broadband specific configuration along to
ModemManager, but isn't itself involved at all with the carrier/APN
selection.  nm-applet also makes use of the database to pull out a
carrier name based on MCC/MNC/SID if the modem doesn't one.  That
functionality could be pulled into NetworkManager, but there isn't much
of a point to duplicating the D-Bus interface of ModemManager in
NetworkManager and just passing all the MM stuff through.  Hence why
it's the client apps that use the database, and why it's just a simple
database, not code.