Re: Clarification about Licensing Requirement

Thanks Phil!

The proprietary part of our application can comply with LGPL/AFL libs that are used by the NetworkManager. However, my doubts are because of the fact that the NetworkManager is licensed as GNU GPL, so using its services over D-Bus might not be possible. In this case, the D-Bus service is AFL but the daemon to which the proprietary application will talk, that is NetworkManager, is GPL.

Proprietary App     <--------------  DBus----> Network Manager

AFAIK, exchange of complex data structures with a GPL'ed code makes the whole application GPL. However, I am not sure whether the data exchanged in this case will be complex enough or not to make the whole app GPL'ed.

Thanks and Regards,
Mahavir

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Phil Thompson <phil yarwell demon co uk> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 03:25 +0530, Mahavir Prasad wrote:
> it legal to use the D-Bus interface of NetworkManager in a proprietary
> application?

IANAL but as I understand it neither licence prohibits use in a
proprietary application *provided* the licence of that application
complies with requirements placed on it by the licences of its
constituent elements.

So your licence may have to give the users certain rights in order to
comply with LGPL or AFL

Phil