Re: stopping modem manager STARTING AUTOMATICALLY

hong sheng <hong022011 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jikra,I am new to networkmanager open source and need your help.For
networkmanager 0.80, do you mean networkmanager will also bring up
modem-manager? But I didn't see it. Is it because networkmanager doesn't detect
the modem in udev?
>  Also, I have questions of relationship between networkmanager and
modem-manager. I read the code of networkmanager 0.8.0, and modem-manager is
part of it. When we do compile or build, install, will "modem-manager" exe-file
automatically be generated? But it seems there is no main() function in the
folder of modem-manager. And I didn't see modem-manager exe file be generated
when I do make install networkmanager.  Or we need to download a separate packet
to build and install modem-manager?Also, if I want to set modem in linux
terminal instead of through graphic applet, how can I do it? Currently, I put
"org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service" under /usr/share/dbus-1/system-service
and "org.freedesktop.ModemManager.conf" under /etc/dbus-1/system.d. In addition,
I put a keyfile TestMode under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connection. However, I
am still not able to make the modem run. Do I miss something? thanks a lot for
the helpXiaohong
wrote:On Thursday 26 of August 2010 23:52:05 X.H. Sheng wrote:
> > Hi Jirka,
> >
> > Could you send the file of org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service?
> >
> > I have one as follows in my ubuntu machine:
> >
> > [D-BUS Service]
> > Name=org.freedesktop.ModemManager
> > Exec=/usr/sbin/modem-manager
> > User=root
> >
> Yes, that's the right content of the file.
> However, you don't have to and should not do anything with this file.
> The above suggestion about removing it is just a workaround to disable modem-
> manager to be started via NetworkManager daemon.
> >
> > Should I must run modem-manager to start modem in the embedded system
> > rather than pc? I looked into the networkmanager 0.8 open source and
> > noticed modem-manager is part of NetworkManager, then, instead of starting
> > a separate modem-manager daemon,  can I just run NetworkManger and let
> > NetworkManager handles the modem? If I can do so, how can I set the
> > configuration and system-settting?
> >
> modem-manager is complementary program to NetworkManager and it is used to
> manage modems. You don't have to execute it manually. It is run automatically
> by NetworkManager.
> So, you just have to plug your modem and that's it. As far as configuration is
> concerned, you should set up a connection using nm-connection-editor. You can
> run it from terminal or just right-click on nm-applet in systray and choose
> "Edit Connections...". Then select "Mobile Broadband" tab and add your
> connection.
> See also:https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C/connecting-mobile.html
> Jirka

Hello!

I have exactly the opposite problem: the Network Manager doesn't start the Modem
Manager.

I have the pertinent files: "org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service" under
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-service and "org.freedesktop.ModemManager.conf" under
/etc/dbus-1/system.d.
And also an apropriate configuration for the connection under
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connection (it works when I start it manually).

Why does my NM not start my MM?

Thank you,

Ana