Re: Not choosing wired first on boot

On Wednesday 29 of December 2010 18:52:03 sean darcy wrote:
> I have NetworkManager-0.8.1-10.git20100831.fc14.i686 on a Fedora 14
> laptop. It's running as a server, init level 3.
>
> I've vnc'd into the server and checked all the "Allow all users" boxes
> in the applet. (Is there any way to do this without using X?) Now NM
> starts on boot, but chooses the wireless connection, not the wired. I
> have ifdown'd the wireless and ifup'd eth0. On reboot still connects to
> wireless.
>
> The wireless is meant to serve as a backup. If I go to X, NM always
> chooses the wired connection. How can I get NM to prefer wired at level 3?
>
> sean

Wired interface should be started automatically when you have a configuration
file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and there is not "ONBOOT=no"
in it.
What's in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file or other files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts?

On the other hand, you should include "ONBOOT=yes" to /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 to prevent wireless from auto-connecting.

Jirka