Re: Increased RAM usage with nm-applet 0.8.0 to 0.8.1

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 23:09 +0200, Uwe Geuder wrote:
> On 12 December 2011 09:29, Jeff Hoogland <JeffHoogland Linux com> wrote:
>
> > Attached are the two outputs you requested, digging through them now to see
> > if I can pinpoint the issue.
> >

> Did you find out anything?
>
> I converted the outputs to csv, loaded them into an OpenOffice
> spreadsheet, summed up each category of memory and compared your 2
> versions.  The differences are really marginal, depending on the memory
> category sometimes in favor of the old and sometimes in favor of the new
> version. In terms of resident memory, which should be the most important
> measure (no swapping has occured) the new version is even 792 KiB (~ 7 %)
> smaller than the old one.

Thanks for looking at that; I was going to suggest something like this.
As you've pointed out, RSS is the value that really matters.  VSS
doesn't matter at all.  So any large (>25%) increases in RSS size
between the dumps in any one library are interesting.  But also that
would indicate increased usage *in that library*, not necessarily in
nm-applet.  Now if you haven't changed any other packages/libraries on
your system, but you've just changed nm-applet from 0.8.0 -> 0.8.1, then
it may be that nm-applet is now using those libraries in a different way
that results in a difference in memory usage.  ie, it's actually not
very straightforward to figure out this problem.  Anyway, if we can
figure out what might account for the change (if there is a large
change) then we can look at what might be causing it.  But if, as Uwe
says, the RSS actually *decreases* in 0.8.1 then we've already won? :)

Dan