Re: brcmsmac: power usage and leds on acer AOD260

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 19:22 +0200, Klaus Lichtenwalder wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:19:28 +0200
> Klaus Lichtenwalder <lichtenwalder acm org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just curious. The brcmsmac module seems to need more power than the broadcom-wl driver. Is there something, I can do/help, *if* this topic is on the agenda? (Might also be to early, I don't know...)
> > Also, the LED indicating that the wireless interface is up (which is lit if using broadcom-wl) stays dark.
> >

> And before making I total fool out of me, it's running on fedora 15 with the modules from rpmfusion (kmod-staging), all in 32 bit-land

LED control is either a kernel driver thing or a platform driver thing;
that's not something that NM itself controls, since it's not usually
modifiable, or if it is, the people that care are fine putting the logic
into simple scripts they can run from the dispatcher or rc.local or
such.  It  may be that the brcmsmac driver doesn't yet export LED
control information.  But note that sometimes the LED is controlled by
the BIOS on the laptop, especially in cases when the LED represents more
than one radio.  So this is probably a better question for kernel
development lists (linux-wireless vger kernel org) than NM.

Same thing for the power draw actually :)