Re: stopping modem manager

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 11:00 -0700, hong sheng wrote:
> Hi Jikra,
>
> I am new to networkmanager open source and need your help.
>
> For networkmanager 0.80, do you mean networkmanager will also bring up
> modem-manager? But I didn't see it. Is it because networkmanager
> doesn't detect the modem in udev?

Yes, NM will poke MM via D-Bus service activation when NM starts.  D-Bus
service activation is a great facility but it has historically been a
bit difficult for people to setup if they are building everything
themselves.

Basically, dbus-daemon listens for requests from clients (like NM) and
if the client requests a service that is not yet running, dbus-daemon
looks in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ for a special file that
contains launch parameters.  If one exists for that service, dbus-daemon
will then queue the client's request, start that service, and deliver
the client's request when the service is alive.

> Also, I have questions of relationship between networkmanager and
> modem-manager. I read the code of networkmanager 0.8.0, and
> modem-manager is part of it. When we do compile or build, install,

Not entirely; what you're seeing is the NM glue code to take
user-provided configuration and tell ModemManager to start the 3G
connection using that configuration, and device management to fit modems
into the NM device model that any NM-aware client already uses.

> will "modem-manager" exe-file automatically be generated? But it seems
> there is no main() function in the folder of modem-manager. And I
> didn't see modem-manager exe file be generated when I do make install
> networkmanager.  Or we need to download a separate packet to build and
> install modem-manager?

It's a separate project available on Freedesktop like NetworkManager:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/

> Also, if I want to set modem in linux terminal instead of through
> graphic applet, how can I do it?

If you mean telling NetworkManager to bring up a predefined 3G
connection then you can use nmcli (available in NM 0.8.1 and later) to
do so, or for ealier NM versions you might be able to use
cnetworkmanager.

You can also use ModemManager without NetworkManager too, there are
various examples of getting the list of recognized modems, scanning for
providers, and connecting the modem in the test/ directory in
ModemManager git.

Dan