nm cannot correctly set interface as unmanaged

Hi,

 since I fresh-installed ubuntu 10.04 with the new network-manager(NM)[1] I'm no
longer able to manually setup my network editing "/etc/network/interfaces".

I have two interfaces manually configured[2]:
- eth0, manually configured to use dhcp, is correctly set UNMANAGED by NM.
- eth1, manually configured to use a static ip address, is NOT set
  *unmanaged* by NM, that starts a dhclient on it.

The only workaround I found to set "eth0" and "eth1" UNMANAGED in NM is to set
"NetworkingEnabled=false" in "/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state"[4].

I also tried to configure[3] "eth0" and "eth1" to use dhcp. The result is that
NM works as expected, setting the two interfaces UNMANAGED.

Could this strange behavior be a bug?

Thank you in advance!,
  Simone

[1] network-manager versions:

    network-manager 0.8-0ubuntu3
    network-manager-gnome 0.8-0ubuntu3
    network-manager-pptp 0.8-0ubuntu3
    network-manager-pptp-gnome 0.8-0ubuntu3

[2] Configuration of "/etc/network/interfaces" (eth1 UNMANAGED, eth1 MANAGED):

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
          up nameif

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.5.166
        network 192.168.5.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
    #    gateway 192.168.5.254

[3] Configuration of "/etc/network/interfaces" (eth1 UNMANAGED, eth1 UNMANAGED):

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
          up nameif

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

[4] "/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state" :
    [main]
    NetworkingEnabled=false
    WirelessEnabled=false
    WWANEnabled=false