Is it possible that a command line interface to the network-manager functionality could be added?

I often am doing kernel testing and work without starting X.  I would
love to be able to easily scan available networks and then select one
and enter any required passphrase.  This is obviously particularly
helpful for wireless networks.  Currently, I would need to hack
scripts for each wifi hotspot, and I have only managed to get such a
configuration working once (I don't remember how I did this, as it was
years ago).  Of course, it would be lovely if someone would create a
ncurses enabled terminal UI similar to the linux kernel's "make
menuconfig".

Thanks,
      Miles