Re: wifi is not working since upgrade to ubuntu 9.10

On Thursday 25 of November 2010 05:38:28 Alan White wrote:
> The HP laptop has had trouble with wireless since an upgrade some time
> ago, via Ubuntu Upgrade: NetworkManager stopped working and in fact the
> applet disappeared from the upper panel.
>
> Wired networking is usually used at home, but I am leaving soon for a
> trip, and would REALLY like to have WiFi working!
>
> I do not know much about setting up or fixing networking issues, and
> would appreciate any help figuring out what to do.

nm-applet dissapear when NetworkManager daemon is not running. Check it with
"ps ax | grep NetworkManager".
Also run nm-tool in a terminal, which will show you device status.

For NM logs see /var/log/daemon.log. That will tell us what's going on inside
NetworkManager daemon.

> --------------------
> Also, the nm-applet disappeared and when I try to run it in a terminal,
> this shows:
>
> awhite awhite:~$ nm-applet&
> [1] 4193
> awhite awhite:~$ libnotify-Message: GetServerInformation call failed:
> Too few arguments in reply
> libnotify-Message: Error getting spec version
>
> ** (nm-applet:4193): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not
> acquire the session service as it is already taken.  Return: 3
>

> ** (nm-applet:4193): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't
> initialize the D-Bus manager.

Because nm-applet is already running, just not visible.

Jirka