autoconnect in Network manager

Hi,

I am writing my own client to NetworkManager and wanted to know how NetworkManager selects a network to connect to.

I am maintaining the connection parameters using gconf, and I see that the NetworkManager always connects to the very first network I connected to, even-though I am updating the connection for the connected AP, periodically same as nm-applet does.

What prompts the NetworkManager to connect to the most recent network?

Thanks,
Pan