Re: Specifying an IPv6 suffix

Le 04/11/2010 18:02, Robert Moskowitz a écrit :
> I want to control the IPv6 suffix for my interfaces and let the prefix
> be set with RA.
>
> Currently I can either have the RA prefix with the MAC address for the
> suffix, or I can specify a complete IPv6 address (and gateway) and
> ignore RA (doing this manually in the ifcfg-eth0 file as I don't see how
> to do this with Network manager).
>
> The first approach causes problems with DNS if I change the interface.

Do you change the network interface that often? Updating the DNS once
in a while does not look like a huge burden.

You could force the old MAC address on the new interface. Of course if
you still use the old interface elsewhere you will be in trouble.

> The second approach causes problems if I change the network prefix.

... and you still have the same DNS problem in this case, right?

You seem to have an incredibly dynamic network environment, can you
give more details about it?

PS: this does not look specific to IPv6