WPA Enterprise doesn't like PEM certs

We've received many reports that NetworkManager in Ubuntu 10.04 and
Fedora 13 (0.8.1) doesn't like PEM-formatted cert files when
configuring new wireless networks for WPA Enterprise, whereas earlier
versions work fine.  Also, 0.8.1 works for existing wireless network
configurations that were created with older NM versions using PEM
files.  Using .p12 (.pfx) formatted files seems to work.  Did
something change in this area of either nm-applet or NetworkManger
that might explain this?  I can provide further troubleshooting
details if needed.

Thanks.