NM under Fedora-13

I am running Fedora-13 on my laptop,
installed from the KDE Live CD.
I had a little difficulty starting NM;
it didn't seem to work properly
until I had re-booted a couple of times.
However, it seems to be working fine now.

(Fortunately, I find the network service
actually works nowadays, so I have a backup
if NM fails for some reason.)

I notice that the icon in my panel has changed,
to something that looks like a petrol pump
at a filling station,
or maybe a piece of chemical apparatus.
I think the old icon (with bars to indicate signal strength)
was better.

I also notice that I am running knetworkmanager
(maybe this is his/her icon?)
but I don't understand who told this program to run,
as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in /etc/NetworkManager?

I'm a bit puzzled which files NM looks at?
I've kept the same /home partition I had in Fedora-12.
Does NM look at anything there?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net