Re: Looking for advice about using NM with a Sprint U301 modem

Hi Daenyth,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:04:55PM -0400, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> I'm trying to find out some information regarding the Sprint U301 3G
> modem. Our use case for it is that it will be attached to an embedded
> machine running ubuntu with networkmanager, in addition to our
> software. I've been trying to get this modem to connect reliably and
> am having some issues with it. I've added a udev rule so that the
> usbserial driver is given the correct vendor/product information, and
> it connects automatically on boot, but not reliably. Some boots it
> does not connect at all and won't until I reboot. Sometimes it
> disconnects while the machine is running. If it disconnects either by
> itself or from deactivating the connection, it will not connect again
> and needs a reboot. The nm/mm logs say that serial requests are timing
> out when it's in the non-connected state. I haven't been able to
> recover from the disconnected state with anything about a reboot.
>
> Is there anything we can do with this device to increase reliability?
> Failing that, can you recommend a usb Sprint 3G modem that will be
> more reliable? If there are none, do you have any recommendations for
> any brand of 3G modem that will work well in this situation? The boxes
> will be deployed where manual access is not easy, so it needs to be
> able to connect and recover from disconnections automatically, or at
> least in a way that can be scripted easily.

I ran into the same difficulties on a project.  The device is unreliable, I
believe due to a driver compatibility issue (I think the device needs some
special handling that cdc-acm does not provide).  I did some debugging with it
but lacked the time and expertise to finish the job.

See this thread on linux-usb:

  http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2010/2/19/6257991

Interesting that you are using the generic usb-serial driver.  cdc-acm
automatically bound to mine when I plugged it in.

We ended up switching to the Sierra Wireless 598U 3G modem for our project.  It
works well with the option driver.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Forest