Re: problem in connecting wireless usb adapter without using network manager

On Monday 17 of May 2010 11:30:23 Leela Krishna Bysani wrote:
> HI,
> I AM TRYING TO CONFIGURE MY WIRELESS ADAPTER WG111V2 TO CONNECT TO A ROUTER
> WITHOUT USING NETWORK MANAGER(THAT IS, I WANT TO CONNECT IT MANUALLY USING
> COMMANDS) BUT THE PROBLEM :( IS WHEN I TRIED TO CONNECT , ITS SHOWING
> "ACCESS POINT : NOT ASSOCIATED"
> CAN ANY ONE HELP ME IN THIS PROBLEM.

For configuration of wireless without NM, you need iwconfig (in case no security
or WEP), and wpa_supplicant in addition in case of WPA.

You would do something like this (suposing wlan0 is the wireless interface):
$ iwlist wlan0 scan
- shows you available networks (SSIDs) with signal strength
$ iwconfig
show wireless configuration

to connect :
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 essid <your SSID>
iwconfig eth0 key s:<yoy key>    (specifying WEP key)

For WPA, you need to create configuration for wpa_supplicant and run the
program.

More info:
man iwlist
man iwconfig
man wpa_supplicant

Jirka

PS:
Please don't use capitals, They are hard to read.