Re: wpa_supplicant & Networkmanager

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 15:58 +0800, Edward_Doong wistron com wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I have some issues with wpa_supplicant & NM.
>
> Now, I have 2 API NM_STATE & AP SSID from NM ( Dbus & nm-tool )
>
> But when I use wpa_supplicant to connect wifi. ( wpa_supplicant –Dwext
> –iwlan0 –c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf )
>
> Then wifi wil be connect.
>
> But NM Dbus will be not use.( like every signal method call can’t
> work )
>
> My 2API will be not work, too.
>
> I must be killall wpa_supplicant that NM will recover.
>
> Is wpa_supplicant & NM mutual exclusive?

No, they are not mutually exclusive, but NM expects to be in control of
the interfaces that it's supposed to manage.  This is mainly because the
configuration data that NM uses is much richer than what the supplicants
config alone provides, and while we can convert the NM config into
supplicant config, it's not possible to convert supplicant config back
into NM config because it simply doesn't follow the richer NM config
model at all.

I think if there's something that you'd like to do with the supplicant
that NM can't, we can either enhance NetworkManager (which I'm happy to
do) or you can use the supplicant's D-Bus interface directly.

Dan