Re: networkmanager need old password for keyring

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 08:39, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
Hmm, sounds like a bug.  I can try to check and make sure that the PIN
gets updated in the keyring.

so what you are saying is essentially that nm won't prompt me for a new PIN if i insert a SIM with a different password into the same UMTS stick?

> in Mobile Broadband we might want to identify the SIM card on a
> hardware level.
> it doesn't make sense to believe that same ISP means same PIN code.

Yes, we should tie the PIN to the SIM.  The big problem here is that for
many devices (a lot of them actually) you can't get the IMSI until
*after* you unlock the SIM.  Which means we can't use the IMSI to look
up the PIN for a lot of devices like you really want.

Dan

let's go about this differently then.
i suggest, let it be handled like banking cards or most other pin codes:
we have 3 attempts. the first two might fail, the third one can not.

probe for password failure and notify about it.
right now there's no way in userland to know if the keyring tried a wrong password, or how many attempts it has made with the wrong password.

how about handling that first, then we could spare ourselves the IMSI stuff..

all that proprietary obfuscation won't get better anyway, so this would already make many people happy.. thoughts?